Posted by:
Douglas College 

Job Category:
Education & Training 

Job Location:
New Westminster - BC, British Columbia, CANADA

Vacancies: 1 Vacancies 

Job # : 959573

Target groups:
Newcomers in Canada 

Posted date: June 17, 2022 

Expire after: -625 days 

Web Site: https://www.douglascollegecareers.ca/

Job detail

13

Position Title: Indigenous Recruiter Advisor
Posting Number: 01459SA
Location: New Westminster Campus
Regular/Temporary: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time

Work Arrangements
This regular full-time (35 hours per week) position is available starting May 23, 2022. Regular hours of work are Monday to Friday, 8:00 am – 4:00 pm. Shift days and times may change depending on the Department’s need. Occasional evening and/or weekend work may be required. The position is located at the New Westminster campus; however, successful candidate must be available for occasional work at the Coquitlam campus. Douglas College is committed to supporting a healthy work/life balance for employees. A modified/flexible schedule and/or hybrid work from home arrangement may be considered.

What Douglas Offers
DO what you love. Be good at it. That’s how Douglas College defines a great career. It’s a philosophy that resonates through our classrooms, our offices and our boardrooms. It inspires our students and drives us to make Douglas College one of BC’s Top Employers. We love what we do. And we’re looking for passionate, motivated people to join us in making one of Canada’s best colleges even better.

The Role
The Indigenous Student Recruiter Advisor actively promotes programs and services at Douglas College by planning, maintaining and executing domestic Indigenous student recruitment programs and services. They provide exceptional client-centred service on a consistent basis to all stakeholder groups.

Responsibilities
1. Promotes and co-ordinates the strategies and programs for Indigenous student recruitment and related presentation duties, including:
a. researches, designs and implements recruitment and relationship building events, programs, and services on-campus, off-campus and virtually for prospective Indigenous students in collaboration with the college community using enrollment data to make informed decisions and plans for future years;
b. collaborates with the Indigenous Student Services, the Aboriginal Stream, the Student Navigator, and others who play important roles in supporting Indigenous students during the recruitment phase;
c. designs presentations with a strategic marketing approach appropriate to the intended audience;
d. presents relevant information to small and large groups comprised of various populations on the benefits of postsecondary education, Douglas programs, admission requirements, student services, financial awards, funding options (band and alternates), student life, articulated partnerships, future expansion plans and proposed degree programs;
e. accurately provides information to students on possible post-secondary programs at Douglas based upon assessment of their interest areas;
f. establishes and maintains vital connections and rapport with public and independent secondary schools, government agencies, tribal schools, band offices, and parent and community groups;
g. develops and maintains positive relationships within the university and college community and other institutions, local first nations, tribal councils, band offices, Indigenous funding agencies, businesses and community agencies to allow for collaboration;
h. assesses inquiries from secondary school counselors, support workers, band representatives, and teachers and provides and/or directs them to appropriate information on programs and services at Douglas to better advise their students;
i. responds to in-person, telephone, email, web based communications, and regular mail inquiries from public and private schools, tribal schools, band offices, colleges, universities, government agencies, community and parent groups;
j. prepares various correspondence and conducts research to develop analytical reports to make recommendations as required;
k. coordinates and organizes mailings of Douglas College viewbooks, brochures and other collateral materials;
l. maintains and utilizes a contact database of prospective students, parents, Indigenous support workers, counsellors and other external institutions through the Douglas CRM system;
m. organizes and conducts school or community visits, career fairs, cultural events, and trade shows;
n. travels to recruiting venues;
o. sets up displays, tables, and other promotional material/equipment;
p. Responds in a culturally safe, positive, knowledgeable and appropriate manner to all stakeholder groups and individuals in regard to college programs, courses, services, policy, and education;
q. sets up and uses portable computer, projector, and other audio-visual equipment, as well as troubleshoots for onsite technical difficulties related to making multimedia presentations;
r. coordinates administrators, faculty or staff presentations and/or participates in the abovementioned events;
s. coordinates Indigenous student visitation events to Douglas College;
t. participates in ceremony presentations if required;
u. organizes delivery of communication campaigns to applied and admitted students.
v. initiates contact and develops relationships with self-identified Indigenous applicants to support them through admission processes;
w. works closely with Indigenous Student Services to ensure newly admitted students experience a smooth transition to support from Indigenous Student Services;
x. when appropriate, involves and consults with Indigenous Student Services and Enrolment Services staff to support a student through the recruitment and admissions process;
y. works with the Finance Department and Indigenous Student Services to ensure confirmation of external sponsorships.

2. Supervises the work of the Student Assistant and Co-op Student positions, including:
a. identifies, interviews and hires Student Assistant and Co-Op positions under the direction of the Supervisor and the Manager;
b. designs and implements appropriate training experiences, and acts as a professional mentor to student employees;
c. coordinates the scheduling and daily operations of this group; including monitoring absences and providing time sheet approval;
d. supervises work performance, and conducts periodic performance evaluations, as well as exit interviews.
3. Supports the Associate Student Recruiter Advisor in their supervision of the Student Ambassador volunteer group including training, coordination of daily operations, communications and performance.
4. Provides onsite supervision for College events that involve student activities.
5. Performs other duties as assigned to support the Future Students’ Office.

To Be Successful in this Role You Will Need
The College received Special Program Approval by the BC Human Rights Tribunal to give preference to the hiring of a person of Indigenous ancestry for this position.

· Indigenous ancestry preferred or extensive cultural awareness, intimate understanding of ways of knowing and being, and worked with Indigenous organizations and/or communities.
· Understanding the unique history, laws, and funding options of Indigenous peoples in Canada, and the unique barriers they face when accessing post-secondary; is required to respectfully and successfully liaise with prospective Indigenous students and community members.
· A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in a related field from a recognized post-secondary educational institution plus two years’ related work experience. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
· A working knowledge of the B.C. post-secondary education system, including admission requirements and programs, graduation, partnerships, and articulated agreements with a clear emphasis on Douglas College.
· Excellent interpersonal and cross-cultural communication skills including written and verbal fluency in the English language.
· A working knowledge of training and/or job requirements for a wide range of academic, vocational and technical careers.
· An excellent and thorough understanding of Indigenous history, customs, culture, issues, values and belief systems.
o band education and funding policies;
o educational barriers/ issues other resources available;
· Demonstrated ability to work with Indigenous peoples and communities
· Experience in supporting Indigenous learners and/or communities.

· General knowledge of financial services and processes including entrance scholarships, band funding and Canada & BC Student Loan application processes.
· A working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint). Familiarity working with Microsoft Office on Mac platforms, and with the Microsoft Dynamics CRM system (or similar system) would be an asset.
· A demonstrated ability to execute student recruiting strategies, including:
o speak effectively to small and large groups in both informal and formal settings.
o effectively interview both prospective and existing students in order to identify what is needed in order to help them achieve their educational and vocational objectives.
o interact effectively and tactfully with people of various backgrounds and cultures, including students, college employees and the broader community.
o develop, establish and maintain good working relationships.
o work as an effective team member.
o critically analyze, reason, and problem solve.
o plan, coordinate and organize work in order to meet deadlines.
o work independently with minimal supervision.
o train and mentor others, as well as design training programs.
o exercise sound judgment and maintain a high degree of confidentiality.
o physically lift and carry related promotional materials/equipment that weigh between 20-30 kilograms.
· Demonstrated ability to plan and produce a wide range of recruiting and relationship building events, including design, marketing, volunteer management, event supervision and evaluation.
· Demonstrated ability to manage and grow an experiential student leadership program, including member recruitment, training, resource development team building, communications, event planning and evaluation.
· Experience in providing supervision in a work environment, or a demonstrated understanding of effective supervisory practices.
· Demonstrated ability to build and foster a student staff team.
· Demonstrated ability to assess student staff performance, organize and provide the required training.
· A valid B.C. driver’s license and access to the use of a motor vehicle is
essential.

Special Instructions To Applicant
Interested applicants must submit their application and all required documents online on the Douglas College Career Site www.douglascollegecareers.ca. Qualified internal applicants shall be given first consideration in filling the position. All internal applications must be received by April 29, 2022. Please ensure your resume clearly explains how you meet the required knowledge, skills and abilities of the position for which you are applying. All candidates selected for interview will need to bring original certificates and diplomas of educational credentials noted on their resume.

Link to Full Position Profile
https://www.douglascollegecareers.ca/postings/9022